Responsible gambling means making choices and staying in control of how much time and money you spend.
People who gamble responsibly make sure they know all the facts. They decide in advance how often they will play, how much money and time they will spend, and when to stop. Sometimes, responsible gambling is making a decision not to gamble at all. Gambling responsibly will keep gambling enjoyable, and lower the risk of harm to you, your family or friends.
A person who gambles responsibly:
- Gambles for fun, not to make money or to escape problems.
- Knows that they are very unlikely to win in the long run.
- Does not try to ‘chase’ or win back losses.
- Gambles with money set aside for entertainment and never uses money intended for rent, bills and food.
- Does not borrow money to gamble.
- Does not let gambling affect their relationships with family and friends.