Godley, S. H., J., Smith, J. E., Meyers, R. J., & Godley, M. D. (2016)
Author Contact Information:
Dr. Mark Godley
For information on training and certification, visit the A-CRA/ACC website.
The Adolescent Community Reinforcement Approach: A Clinical Guide to Treating Substance Use Disorders (available for purchase only on Amazon)
- Outlines all of the individual procedures for adolescents, transition age youth, and their families
- Uses an individual, flexible, behavioral approach
- Provides detailed instruction on how to help the client learn more effective coping skills
- This updated version includes:
- Chapters on Couples Relationship Skills, Medication Adherence and Monitoring, Sobriety Sampling, and Systematic Encouragement (procedures that have evolved to be part of the A-CRA training and certification, but were not previously included in the treatment manual)
- Expanded procedure examples
- Detailed instructions for each procedure which map directly on to the therapist fidelity coding manual (Smith, Lundy, & Gianini, 2007)
- Guidance on how to adapt several A-CRA procedures for group sessions
- Information about the implementation of A-CRA in various settings, with different cultures and groups, with clients who have co-occurring mental health or criminal justice problems
The soft-cover manual is available for purchase on Amazon; the e-book version will be available in February 2017. All proceeds from the sale of the manual will support research and training at Chestnut Health Systems to improve treatment outcomes for adolescents with substance use disorders.
The links below are translations of the 2001 version of the A-CRA manual and have not yet been updated to match the 2016 version. They are free to download.
Dutch version of the A-CRA manual, translated by Novadic-Kentron in the Netherlands
French version of the A-CRA manual, translated by Dave Smith Youth Treatment Centre with the financial assistance of the Champlain Local Health Integration Network in Ottawa, Canada
Portuguese version of the A-CRA manual, translated by Maria Cristina S. Dias, with assistance from Lily Anderson, and supported by Jim Fraser with Chestnut Global Partners in Bloomington, IL and the staff of Hospital Samaritano and SAID in São Paulo, Brazil
Spanish version of the A-CRA manual, translated by Sergio Fernández-Artamendi and José Ramón Fernández-Hermida, with the Addictive Behavior Research Group at the University of Oviedo in Spain, and supported by the Ministry of Education and Science in Spain